In the fall of 1945, Bro. A.L. Meares began preaching in the streets of Alvarado. On March 12, 1946, Fundamental Baptist Church was started in the home of Mr. and Mrs. King Solomon. In the fall of 1946, the church purchased a lot across from the present fire station. After a few months in this location, Bro. Meares resigned on January 26, 1947.On February 9, 1947, the church called Rev. W.A. “Bill” Frerking as their pastor. Bro. Frerking had been the song leader and his wife the pianist under the leadership of Bro. Meares, so they were already familiar with the congregation. Bro. Frerking led the church to rent a lot on East Davis Street and erected a tent for a place to worship. The church worshipped at this location during the fall and winter of 1947. In March, 1948, a storm with high winds ripped the tent in half; leaving the church with no official place to worship. After the destruction of the tent, the congregation began meeting in the homes of several of its members. They would often utilize the warm weather during this time by meeting outside, in the yard, of these church member’s homes.
In the summer of 1948, the church purchased a lot located just off the town square on South Spears Street. The church then began making plans to construct a church building on this lot. Meanwhile, the church rented a small frame building, from Mr. Hooks, across from where they were constructing their new building. This building was known as the “chicken coop” because it was next to a chicken coop. The congregation met in this building throughout the winter, and despite the small size of the building, the congregation was very grateful they had a place where they could worship. On Saturday, February 12, 1949, a storm damaged the building, leaving the church with no official place to worship.
The Methodist Church allowed the congregation to hold worship services in the Boy Scout building on their property until the church’s new building was completed. The Methodist Church did not charge the congregation for any expenses, including utilities or rent. During this time, the men of the church were working very diligently to build a new building. After working long hours on their regular jobs, they would work late into the night on the church building. Mr. Hooks, helped finance the project by loaning the church the money to build the new building. On July 10, 1949, about a year after the lot for the new building was purchased, the building was completed and dedicated. The next Sunday, Bro. Frerking resigned as pastor.
Rev. Ozelle Pinson, who was attending the Seminary in Ft. Worth, and had been helping Bro. Frerking, was called as pastor on July 24, 1949. Under his leadership, the church began building an adjoining building. This building had not yet been completed when he resigned on October 22, 1951.
On November 25, 1951, the church called Rev. Clarence C. West as pastor. Bro. West led the congregation to finish the adjoining building which was dedicated in 1952. Mr. W.E. Wooten, a Ft. Worth businessman, had loaned the church enough money to pay off the note to Mr. Hooks and to finance the adjoining building. Later, Mrs. Wooten would not charge the church any interest on this loan. Bro. West resigned on August 12, 1953.
On November 21, 1953, the church called Rev. Earl D. Maddux as pastor. During Bro. Maddux’s ministry, L.B. Hathcock was ordained to the ministry at Fundamental Baptist Church on January 29, 1956. Bro. Maddux resigned on August 26, 1957.
On September 2, 1957, the church called Rev. Paul Cathey as pastor. Bro. Cathey resigned on October 9, 1960.
On March 19, 1961, the church called Rev. Verne A. Miller as pastor. Bro. Miller resigned as pastor on August 15, 1971.
On August 22, 1971, the church called Rev. Bobby Oliver as pastor. On January 30, 1972, Bro. Oliver became the first full-time pastor at Fundamental Baptist Church. Under his leadership, the church more than doubled in size. Bro. Oliver resigned on January 13, 1974.
On January 20, 1974, the church called Rev. Gordon Tietz as full-time pastor. Under his leadership a building fund was started to build a new church building. Bro. Tietz passed away in July 1978, years before his dream to build a new church would be fulfilled.
On August 13, 1978, the church called Rev. Raymond E. Smith as full-time pastor. Under the leadership of Bro. Smith, the church broke ground on its current facilities in May of 1980. The main building was finished in July, 1982. A family center addition to the main building was started in 1989 and completed in 1995. Due to his health, during the summer of 2008, Bro. Smith announced his upcoming retirement. He recommended to the church Bro. Paul Calaway as the next pastor. Bro. Smith later retired as the pastor of Fundamental Baptist Church on February 28, 2009. Bro. Raymond Smith and his wife reside in Burleson, TX and are members of Boulevard Baptist Church in Burleson, TX.
In January 2009, the church voted unanimously to call Bro. Paul Calaway as the next pastor effective immediately upon Bro. Smith’s retirement. On March 1, 2009, Bro. Paul Calaway became the current pastor of Fundamental Baptist Church.